NCAFP Foundation Family Medicine Scholarship Program
The North Carolina Academy of Family Physicians Foundation provides scholarships of up to $5,000.00 to North Carolina medical students considering careers as family physicians. Medical students that will be in their 3rd or 4th year of medical school effective 8/1/2021 are eligible to apply. All applications are reviewed by the Scholarship Committee, notifications to scholarship recipients and disbursements will be made in the fall.
Applications for scholarship disbursement for the 2020-2021 school year are being accepted through 11:59pm August 15th, 2021.
How It Works
All scholarship applications received by the noted deadline will be reviewed by the Scholarship review committee. Awardees will be notified and required to confirm acceptance with NCAFP staff. Awardees will be responsible for having their institution provide a letter indicating enrollment and academic status and the student will complete and return a Scholarship Agreement. Once required documents are received scholarship funds will be requested and issued to the student.
Regulations Governing Scholarships
- The student must be attending medical school within the State of North Carolina to be eligible to receive a scholarship.
- The Board of Trustees of the NCAFP/Foundation will consider each application on its own merits and will grant a scholarship at their discretion.
- In considering an application, reviewers will be guided by the applicant’s sincere interest in the specialty of family medicine with consideration given to financial need.
- Upon approval of a scholarship, the recipient will be required to:
- Sign a Scholarship Agreement for the total amount of the scholarship.
- Submit a letter to the NCAFP Foundation from their medical school registrar verifying enrollment, anticipated date of graduation and good academic standing.
- Scholarship recipients will be required to provide certification of enrollment at the Medical School or Family Medicine Residency Program on an annual basis.
- If an applicant fails to complete his/her residency in the specialty of Family Medicine, or if he/she completes a residency in a specialty other than Family Medicine, the scholarship will convert to a loan. It is currently the policy of the Board to defer loan repayment until residency training has been completed. Payback is made in three equal annual installments plus accrued interest at an initial rate of 10.3% per annum. If the recipient fails to commence payback when due, the interest rate will increase by 1% each year until the payment is received in full. However, the Trustees shall have authority to extend the period during which the repayment of any loan is to be made or to adjust the principal repayments due thereon, upon their sole determination that the financial circumstances of the recipient of such loan warrant the same due to any mental or physical disability.
- Written verification is required upon completion of your residency training.
If you are a previous scholarship recipient or have applied before, you are eligible to reapply. Application and submission requirements are HERE. If you have any questions regarding this scholarship program, please contact Brent Hazelett @ the NCAFP via telephone at (919) 833-2110 or by e-mail at BHazelett@ncafp.com
Support to Attend the AAFP National Conference for FM Residents and Medical Students
AAFP National Conference ~ Virtual Event: July 29 – July 31, 2021
The NC Academy of Family Physicians Foundation is interested in helping cover registration expenses for student members to attend this annual national conference, which normally takes place in Kansas City, MO. Students who apply for AAFP Family Medicine Leads Travel Awards (but do not receive one) are given priority consideration for this NCAFP Foundation funding. If you apply for AAFP funding and do not receive it, all you need to do to receive NCAFP Foundation funding is to show evidence of this. The AAFP deadline to apply is June 15 with notifications to students by late June.
General Information for NCAFP Travel Support:
- You must be an AAFP /NCAFP member to be eligible for financial support - if you are not a member, please join now: www.aafp.org/join
- Deadline to contact Brent Hazelett at the email address below is July 18 at 11:59pm
- Notifications of funding will be provided the week of July 19th
- Awarded amounts up to $150.00. If there are more requests than available funding, a lottery drawing will be implemented. Checks will be mailed to students following verification of participation in the conference and completion of NCAFP distributed post-conference evaluation.
Recipients of NCAFP Travel Support are required to complete a brief post-conference evaluation.
Questions? Please contact Brent Hazelett @ the NCAFP via telephone at (919) 833-2110 or by e-mail at BHazelett@ncafp.com.
Travel Scholarships for Students to attend the NCAFP Annual Winter Family Physicians Weekend
Asheville, NC ~ December 2-5, 2021 ~ Conference details: www.ncafp.com/wfpw
In addition to the Foundation’s support, we are grateful for sponsorship funds from the North Carolina AHEC program. However, due to overwhelming interest from students, the entire membership and the family medicine community to attend this annual conference, we must limit the number of attendees. Please be sure to read the below information thoroughly, if you are still interested please proceed and complete this WFPW Student Interest Form as soon as possible, but no later than November 7th.
- No student will be admitted or allowed to register to attend this year’s annual conference without first completing the Interest Form
- Completion of this form also includes details on available travel support from the NCAFP Foundation ($200/student).
- Students must be members of the AAFP/NCAFP – if you are not a member, please join now, it’s FREE: www.aafp.org/join
- If you are a 4th year medical student participating in the Match in 2021-22, you must be interviewing at FM residency programs. We cannot accommodate MS4s pursuing other specialties at this meeting.
Students are encouraged to attend anything of interest during the conference; however, ALL student attendees are required to complete a post-conference evaluation and attend specific activities scheduled on Saturday, 12/4 during the conference. These sessions will be communicated to registered students.
Questions? Please contact Brent Hazelett @ the NCAFP via telephone at (919) 833-2110 or by e-mail at email@example.com