NCAFP Foundation Family Medicine Scholarship Program
The North Carolina Academy of Family Physicians Foundation provides scholarships of up to $5,000.00 to North Carolina medical students considering careers as family physicians. Medical students that will be in their 3rd or 4th year of medical school effective 8/15/2019 are eligible to apply. All applications are reviewed by the Scholarship Committee, notifications to scholarship recipients and disbursements will be made in the fall.
Applications for scholarship disbursement for the 2019-2020 school year are being accepted through 11:59pm Thursday August 15th, 2019.
How It Works
All scholarship applications received by the noted deadline will be reviewed by the Scholarship review committee. Awardees will be notified and required to confirm acceptance with NCAFP staff. Awardees will be responsible for having their institution provide a letter indicating enrollment and academic status and the student will complete and return a Scholarship Agreement. Once required documents are received scholarship funds will be requested and issued to the student.
Regulations Governing Scholarships
- The student must be attending medical school within the State of North Carolina to be eligible to receive a scholarship.
- The Board of Trustees of the NCAFP/Foundation will consider each application on its own merits and will grant a scholarship at their discretion.
- In considering an application, the Trustees will be guided by the applicant’s sincere interest in the specialty of family medicine with consideration given to financial need.
- Upon approval of a scholarship, the recipient will be required to:
- Sign a Scholarship Agreement for the total amount of the scholarship.
- Submit a letter to the NCAFP Foundation from their medical school registrar verifying enrollment, anticipated date of graduation and good academic standing.
- Scholarship recipients will be required to provide certification of enrollment at the Medical School or Family Medicine Residency Program on an annual basis.
- If an applicant fails to complete his/her residency in the specialty of Family Medicine, or if he/she completes a residency in a specialty other than Family Medicine, the scholarship will convert to a loan. It is currently the policy of the Board to defer loan repayment until residency training has been completed. Payback is made in three equal annual installments plus accrued interest at an initial rate of 10.3% per annum. If the recipient fails to commence payback when due, the interest rate will increase by 1% each year until the payment is received in full. However, the Trustees shall have authority to extend the period during which the repayment of any loan is to be made or to adjust the principal repayments due thereon, upon their sole determination that the financial circumstances of the recipient of such loan warrant the same due to any mental or physical disability.
- Written verification is required upon completion of your residency training.
If you are a previous scholarship recipient or have applied before, you are eligible to reapply. Application and submission requirements are HERE. If you have any questions regarding this scholarship program, please contact Tracie Hazelett, Mgr. Medical Student & Residency Relations @ the NCAFP via telephone at (919) 980-5357 or by e-mail at email@example.com
Support to Attend the AAFP National Conference for FM Residents and Medical Students
AAFP National Conference ~ Kansas City, MO ~ July 25 - 27, 2019
The NC Academy of Family Physicians Foundation is interested in helping to off-set travel expenses for student members to attend this annual national conference in Kansas City, MO. Travel award amounts will vary based on the number of applicants but are typically $250-$350 per student; amount provided will not exceed $500.00. Students who apply for AAFP Family Medicine Leads Travel Awards (but do not receive one) are given priority consideration for this Foundation funding. You are strongly encouraged to seek funding from the AAFP Foundation first. AAFP deadline to apply is May 1st, with notifications to students by May 31st. Their current award is $600.00.
General Information for NCAFP Travel Support:
- You must be an AAFP /NCAFP member to be eligible for financial support - if you are not a member, please join now: www.aafp.org/join
- Deadline to complete this request is June 8th, 11:59pm
- Notifications of funding will be provided by June 14th
- The amount of your award will vary based on the number of applicants; if there are more requests than available funding, a lottery drawing will be implemented. Checks will be disbursed onsite.
Recipients of NCAFP Travel Support are required to complete a brief post-conference evaluation.
Questions? Please contact Tracie Hazelett, Mgr. Medical Student & Residency Relations @ the NCAFP via telephone at (919) 980-5357 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.