Mission Statement: To advance the specialty of Family Medicine, in order to improve the health of patients, families & communities in our state.
Vision Statement: Family physicians will be universally valued for their role in providing high quality care to the people of North Carolina.
Strategic Plan & Goals
Government Affairs: NCAFP will be the policy voice for all family physicians and their patients in North Carolina.
- Cultivate relationships with legislators, government leaders, health systems and payers
- Increase policy makers’ understanding of the value of family medicine
- Advocate for improved health of the public in North Carolina.
- Membership and Workforce: NCAFP will create a culture of engagement among family physicians, students, and residents.
Membership and Workforce:
- Maintain and grow NCAFP membership.
- Increase and sustain NCAFP engagement and participation with residency programs and medical schools
- Foster a diverse leadership that represents different schools of thought, geography, and employment type
- Strive to ensure an adequate workforce of family physicians in North Carolina.
Practice Management: NCAFP will support family physicians across practice environments
- Continue to develop resources to support success in the new value‐based healthcare environment
- Actively engage with other organizations to support emerging models of care such as PCMH, ACOs, Direct Pay, etc.
- Develop family physician leaders, particularly in healthcare systems
- Assist in providing the tools for family physicians to thrive in all practice settings, including private practice
Public Relations & Marketing: NCAFP will educate patients, payers, health systems and others about family medicine’s value.
- Promote the value of family medicine and the medical home – including the role of family physicians in health promotion and disease prevention ‐‐ to the public & key stakeholders
- Undertake activities to shape the perceptions of family medicine in North Carolina
- Identify opportunities to work with the media to disseminate news and information about family medicine
- Develop partnerships with other organizations to promote the cause of family medicine in North Carolina
Education: NCAFP will provide high-quality, innovative education.
- Explore innovative methods of education delivery
- Expand subject matter covered at Academy meetings, including leadership and professional development, etc.
- Continue to offer in‐person educational opportunities for our members.
- We believe that Family Medicine is essential to the well-being of the health of North Carolina, and that Family Medicine is well-suited to improve the health of the residents of our state.
- We believe in a healthcare system that is primary care driven. We believe there is an inherent value in a patient-centered medical home—providing quality, access and affordability. We believe that the physician-patient relationship is sacred.
- We believe in a healthcare system that is fair, equitable and accessible. We believe in the elimination of health disparities and barriers to access to healthcare for North Carolina.
- We believe in a comprehensive approach to care, and value the health and well being of patients, families and communities.
- We value collaborative communication with all parties concerned with healthcare delivery, and advocate for a positive practice environment to nourish the specialty of family medicine.
- We value the professional and personal well being of our members.