Mission, Vision and Strategic Objectives
The core purpose and mission of the North Carolina Academy of Family Physicians is to advance the specialty of Family Medicine, in order to improve the health of patients, families, and communities in North Carolina.
- We believe that Family Medicine is essential to the well-being of the health of North Carolina, and that Family Medicine is well-suited to improve the health of the residents of our state.
- We believe in a healthcare system that is primary care driven. We believe there is an inherent value in a primary care medical home—providing quality, access and affordability.
- We believe in a healthcare system that is fair, equitable and accessible. We believe in the elimination of health disparities and barriers to access to healthcare for North Carolina.
- We believe in a comprehensive approach to patient care, and value the health and well being of patients, families and communities.
- We value collaborative communication with all parties concerned with healthcare delivery, and advocate for a positive practice environment to nourish the specialty of family medicine.
- We value the professional and personal well being of our members.
- Quality, evidence-based, timely education.
- Professional excellence and integrity.
- Fiscal responsibility, organization integrity and viability.
- Creativity and flexibility.
- Member-driven involvement in leadership and decision making.
Family physicians will be universally valued for their role in providing high quality care to the people of North Carolina.
Goals and Objectives
Advocacy Goal: Family Medicine will be a highly valued cornerstone of the healthcare system for the state of North Carolina.
- Decrease the total cost of healthcare with improved outcomes for aging population and chronic disease.
- Increase education regarding the importance of Family Medicine and the value of primary care to all audiences, including the public, legislators, policy leaders and payers.
- Expand relationships with legislators and other public policy leaders.
- Improve the public perception of the value of Family Medicine.
- Increase the number of members in positions of influence (legislative, business, etc.).
- Increase payment for primary care services through all means possible, including support of Community Care of North Carolina, etc.
- Allow better healthcare coverage for all (decrease the number of uninsured individuals in our state).
- WORKFORCE: Work to insure that North Carolina's physician workforce will be primary care based and sufficient to meet the needs of the population.
- Increase the number of graduating medical school students that go into Family Medicine or another primary care specialty to 50%. Base the data on practice situation five years post medical school.
- Influence medical school expansion and be prepared to increase residency training positions in order to ultimately increase the number of family physicians in our state.
Education Goal: The NCAFP will provide high-quality, innovative, sustainable Continuing Medical Education to improve the care provided by family physicians.
- Build new and innovative partnerships for financial support of educational programs.
- Continue to examine timing and locations of meetings to best meet member needs.
- Explore innovative methods of education delivery at Academy meetings, including team-based learning approaches.
- Expand on-line and other innovative CME offerings (such as monographs, etc.).
- Expand subject matter covered at Academy Meetings, including leadership development, etc.
Practice Enhancement Goal: Members will have vibrant, successful, dynamic practices.
- Increase member awareness of existing practice management tools, including development of a database of existing Practice Management tools available to members.
- Provide strategies to assist practices struggling with resistance to change, including providing linkages to resources on becoming a Patient-Centered Medical Home.
- Create a format for sharing "best practices."
- Increase publicity to membership regarding Pay for Performance standards.
- Create Practice Management "How Tos."
Health of the Public Goal: The health of all people in North Carolina will improve.
- Increase public awareness of problems of poor dietary habits, lack of exercise, tobacco/alcohol abuse, drug abuse, health disparities, etc.
- Expand implementation of the Medical Home model.
- Support advocacy regarding public health laws.
- Improve/expand education/tools for physicians regarding Health Promotion /Disease Prevention.
- Promote integration of healthcare services for Mind and Body.